Z-arts are working in partnership with New Earth Theatre to offer a development opportunity for British East and South East Asian Theatre Makers * (BESEA) who are interested in making work for children and families. This project is supported by the ACE Project Grant.
We are looking for 3 artists or companies to come and try out some ideas and see how a seed idea might grow.
You do not have to have made work for this audience before you just need to have a desire to make work for this audience now and in the future.
The partnership between Z-arts and New Earth Theatre has come about because of a shared passion to increase the representation of BESEA artists for children and families.
What we are offering
- 1 week residency in a creative space within the Z-arts building.
- Dates will be either W/C 29th November 2021, W/C 6th December 2021 or W/C 13th December 2021.
- Days will be Monday-Friday.
- There will be an opportunity for all theatre makers selected to meet with Z-arts and New Earth at a welcome meeting on Friday 19th November 2021 at 10am at Z-arts.
- Informal sharing in front of a representative from New Earth and Z-arts.
- Up to £1250 for each residency.
- Documentation support.
- 1 to 1 advice session on Zoom following the residency to talk about funding, the future and further support after the residency has ended.
- Artist support and guidance throughout the week.
- The opportunity to watch shows in Z-arts current programme. These include ‘Family Vogue Ball’, ‘The Gift’ and our ‘The Tiger Who Came To Tea’ exhibition.
Who we want to hear from?
- British East and South East Asian Theatre Makers (BESEA) based in the North
West of England.
- You must have an interest in developing work
for children (12 years and under) and families.
- If you are applying as a theatre company, the company must be led by BESEA artists, so please give details of all your collaborators.
- This week in residence is an opportunity for you as a theatre maker to come into the space to play and create. We do not expect or want you to spend the week working towards a sharing. At the end of the week, the sharing could be a talk through the week’s discoveries or the sharing of a moment.
Please answer the following questions. If you would prefer you can record your answers in video or audio format.
- Name of lead artist
- Email address
- Contact Number
- Please state your professional experience
- Why do you want to make work for children and families?
- What will you do with your week in residency?
- Why do you think this opportunity is suitable for you? How will it help with your artist development?
- This residency is for up to £1250. Please advise how much you will be applying for and how that will be spent.
- Please note – Creatives need to be paid for their time in line with up to date ITC and equity rates. Information on these rates can be found via these links:
Rates of Pay – ITC (itc-arts.org)
Equity – List of Rates and Agreements
- Residency dates will be either Dates will be either W/C 29th November 2021, W/C 6th December 2021 or W/C 13th December 2021. Please give your first choice, second choice and third choice of your residency week and indicate your availability for those dates.
Please send your application and Equal Opportunities Form to email@example.com by 12 noon on Monday 1st November 2021.
Any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01612261912 and ask to speak to Tabitha or Zoe.
* We use the term BESEA to mean those who identify as East Asian or South East Asian living and working in the UK.